Tuesday, February 3, 2015

News Flash: College is pointless

And so is everything else in life.

Woah. What's the point of life? What's the point of anything? Why am I here? Why are you here?

Let's get weird.

I'm so glad I'm not a sociology major. I would just be in tears every day. Sociology classes were put into the education system to punch people in the face with reality about society. And not everyone is going to get that little bit of wisdom dropped in their ear. We can't let EVERYONE in on the secret. (I'm about to let all you people out there in on the secret so you don't have to take sociology classes to find out). All 200 of you that will read this blog. (We'll leave the rest of them in the dark).

It's already getting weird. Do you feel it?

My soc professor asked us to describe our dream home. Where will we be in 10 years? What state or country? How big is our house? How many Range Rovers do we want? Beach house? Guest house? Man cave? Mini bar? Wine cellar? Horses?

Then she's like, "Great! Plan on having none of that."

What?
*hopes and dreams crushed into a trillion pieces and fall to the floor of room 637 in Saunders Hall*

Today was the most inspired I've ever been from an adult. And in my years in Hawaii (as well as years before that) I've gotten a lot of inspirational talks from adults saying I can do anything I want, be anything I want, it's my life, love it, live it, blah blah blah. I have gotten motivated and inspired over and over again to chase my dreams (once I think of some dreams). Being told I will never be rich, I will never have a mansion, I will be drowning in debt from college forever in my tiny apartment with my crying babies and spaghetti-o's made me SO HAPPY.

Because it's real.

Ok not happy like yay I'm going to be broke forever and hate life yippee. But like appreciative happy that we weren't getting fed the same "you can do anything" bullshit. (sorry mom)(and grandma)

Student loan debt is at an all time high. People are taking on debt they will literally never be able to pay off in their lifetime. And degrees are getting more and more worthless. You couldn't get anywhere with a high school diploma. Then you couldn't get anywhere with a bachelors degree. Now you can't get anywhere with a masters degree. So we are going to school for longer and longer, accruing more and more debt, just to get lame jobs that won't pay them off. But hey, I can put

Love,
Dr. Tatum

on my letters because I will have a PhD. Fancy. Woo.

So what the actual eff yew see kay are we doing? (I am really heated right now, I want to drop F-bombs but I respect my mother too much to post that word on the internet so just imagine it's there and feel the passion) Why do millions of people go to college with the same idea that they are going to get a degree and get an excellent job and make loads of money when only 1% of the population is actually wealthy? How many of us millions are going to wedge ourselves into that 1%? I'll tell you. All the pretty ones who marry rich guys.





^ Advice for the rest of us.

College is literally just a way to pass time. (Like a large amount of time. 4+ years usually because finishing in 4 is bullshit too) (Please shut up all people who finished in 4. It's impossible and you're just not human). It's something for us twenty-something year olds to do to prolong the inevitable search for said lame job and start our lives.

Feel inspired yet?

On the up side, we are learning. I mean WHAT IS the point of life? In the grand scheme of things, we're born, we live, we die. So in the middle, during the living part, we just find shit to do. I chose going to college. And to be honest, I didn't even go to college for any particular reason. I changed my major a billion times. I've told people "I don't know what I want to do with my life" more times in college than in my entire life combined. At least when I was little I could say I'm going to be a dolphin trainer with full confidence and no hesitation. Now it's like, well I work at a pretty cool bar? That's stimulating my mind enough for now.  Can I just do that forever? I didn't go to college with any real goals besides to just graduate college. (May 2015 is coming in hot. Now what do I do?)

So with absolutely no real reason for life, why not just do shit that stimulates your mind while you're alive? Forget the unrealistic and unattainable "go to college, get a job, get rich" goals. Just go to college because it's something to do. Learn about things you are interested in. Learn about things you love. You'll probably never pay off all your loans before you die, your kids probably won't pay off theirs, and their kids won't be able to pay off theirs. But they will try. And they will be intelligent. And they will be happy!

Like hello! The meaning of life is BE HAPPY.

I just revealed it to you. Put it in your pocket and keep it forever.

College makes me happy. Sometimes it makes me quite sad, like during exam weeks. My job usually makes me pretty happy. My friends make me happy. My family makes me happy. My new roommate's puppy makes me really happy. Someday I'll find a new job that hopefully makes me happy. I'll make monthly payments for my student loans and I'll do it with a damn smile and a mouth full of spaghetti-o's and I'll call my mom constantly and tell her not to worry because I'm paying off my loans and she'll be happy and then that will in turn make me happy.

It's endless. I'm almost confusing myself. What is this even about?

The meaning of life. Oh yeah.

Like if you want to stare at your phone all day and play on instgram and candy crush and flappy bird and then watch hours of netflix after your phone dies and never go outside or read a book. DO IT. If you want to stimulate your mind in other ways like ride a bike or go hiking or run a marathon. Sweet. Lay in a tanning bed. Don't wear deodorant. Shave your head. Post 30 selfies on the internet. Whatever.

Want to go to college? Awesome. Don't want to? Cool. You'll probably end up having more money than me and my fancy bachelors degree anyway because I will be paying off my loans forever and you won't have any.

My parents are going to buy an ice cream truck. AN ICE.CREAM.TRUCK. And drive it around and sell ice cream to kids. That is (insert F word) cool. My mom takes zumba classes and dances her little booty off every week. They do shit because it makes them happy. I love my parents so much.

The real point of this is just so I can share with all of you how mind blown I was that my professor just hit us with such a straight forward message about how not rich we all will be and how not big our future home will be. She told us we are the first generation that is actually going to be worse off than our parents. Usually it evens out, but nope! Not us. We are going to be so broke.

So no, I don't know why I'm going to college aside from the fact that I love to learn. I don't know what I'm going to do after college but I do know I'm not going to be wealthy. I'm just going to strive to be happy instead. (That was already my plan, but now it just makes so much more sense).

You're welcome for sprinkling you with inspiration.

xo, Tatum

1 comment:

  1. Dear Tatum,

    this is amazing. I am laughing out loud, and I love you!

    #tbo. #life

    ReplyDelete